ISO 9004 for Sustained Success
What is ISO 9004:2018
ISO 9004:2018, “Quality management – Quality of an organization – Guidance to achieve sustained success”, gives guidelines for enhancing an organization’s ability to achieve sustained success. This guidance is consistent with the quality management principles given in ISO 9001:2015. ISO 9004:2018 is applicable to any organization, regardless of its size, type, and activity.
ISO 9001 provides a framework for an organization to manage their processes in an effective Quality Management System. ISO 9001 Section 10 “Improving the 9001 Quality Management System” discusses ongoing opportunities to enhance customer satisfaction such as improvements to products or services. Ultimately, improving the effectiveness of the QMS will help meet your customers’ requirements.
The 4th edition of ISO 9004 provides guidance for organizations to achieve sustained success in an ever-changing environment, with reference to the seven quality management principles described in ISO 9001:2015.
ISO 9004:2018 offers guidelines for success by considering the quality of an organization, which it defines as the degree to which the characteristics of the organization fulfill the needs and expectations of its customers and other interested parties.
ISO 9004:2018 addresses the improvement of the organization’s overall performance. It includes the planning, implementation, analysis, evaluation, and improvement of an effective and efficient management system.
ISO 9004:2018 recommends the involvement of top management for understanding the context of the organization, and considering external and internal issues. Top management’s focus on the organization’s ability to meet the needs and expectations of customers and other relevant interested parties, and provides confidence in achieving sustained success.
What is Sustained Success?
The sustained success of an organization is the result of its ability to achieve and maintain its objectives in the long-term. The achievement of sustained success for any organization is a complex and demanding challenge in an ever-changing environment.
How can Sustained Success be achieved?
- By meeting the needs and expectations of your customers
- By the effective management of your organization
- Through awareness of your organization’s environment
- By learning and improving
How can the ISO 9004:2018 Standard help?
- Will provide your organization with guidance and support to achieve sustained success using a quality management approach. It can be used by any organization, regardless of size, type or industry.
- Promotes self-assessment as an important tool for the review of the maturity level of your organization. It covers leadership, strategy, management system, resources, and processes to identify areas of strength and weakness as well as opportunities for improvement and innovations.
- Provides a wider focus on quality management than ISO 9001. It addresses the needs and expectations of all relevant interested parties. ISO 9004 also provides guidance for the systematic and continual improvement of your organization’s overall performance.
- Can be used alongside ISO 9001 and other management system standards, but can also be used independently.
- Is not intended for certification, regulatory or contractual use.
You can learn more about general ISO approaches including ISO training by exploring our site in more detail which gives a good overview of ISO requirements.