ISO 9001:2008 8.3 Nonconforming Product
Simply said: Nonconforming product did not meet customer requirements.
You need to have a documented process to:
- Identify nonconforming product
- All nonconforming product must be very clearly identified by a tag, a label, the container that it is in, a clearly segregated area or other effective manner.
- Make sure your method is sufficient to prevent anyone from mistaking the nonconforming item for a useable item.
- In your procedure describe how you will disposition nonconforming material:
- Do you do rework?
- Do you seek concessions from your customer?
- Is product ever re-graded?
- Is it destroyed?
- What if you’ve already delivered it and now realize it is bad? Recall?
- Identify required records.
- Identify the records that are maintained.
This includes purchased services too:
Clearly identify the options that you have, and the authority to determine disposition.
Then take corrective and preventive action so you don’t repeat the occurrence.