ISO 9001:2008 Section 5.5.2 Management Representative
Section 5.5.2 of ISO 9001 requires that someone take the role of Management Representative. This can be (and often is) the person implementing the QMS. However, it is important to note that the QMS implementation is a finite task, where as management representative is an ongoing responsibility to ensure the QMS is working properly and delivering results.
You should appoint a member of your management team (often the Quality Manager) who despite having other duties (i.e. a “day job”) has the responsibility and authority to:
- Ensure the needed processes are established, implemented, maintained and improved
- Always looking to improve the quality management system
- Report to top management on quality management system performance
- This means organization and follow through of Management Review Meetings
- Report to top management on any need forimprovement
- Corrective/Preventive Action results
- Ensuring the promotion of awareness of customer requirements
- Ensure customer satisfaction with the results of your products/services
- NOTE: The responsibility of a management representative can include being the liaison with external parties on matters relating to the quality management system.